Friday, February 15, 2019

2019, starting over


There has been a tremendous amount of music being created since my last newsletter.  It has been a very prolific time for me, I am almost creating more music then I know what to do with!  Well, not really, but in 2018 I made 4 solo piano CD's, one collaboration CD and several singles.  I also just released another solo piano CD in January 2019.  Let me talk about them a bit.

The 4 solo piano CDs of 2018 form the "Four Seasons Project".  There is a CD for each season, starting with Winter, then Spring, Summer and Fall.  I tried to compose songs that would fit with the feeling of each season.  It was a fun project, and several of the songs are doing well on Spotify.  I also did a collaboration CD with flutist Sherry Finzer.  I recorded the songs here in my studio, and sent the files to her.  Her recording engineer played the songs, and she was able to record her flute melody on top of the piano.  The songs turned out to be wonderful, I am very glad we did this CD.  My latest CD "Secrets of the Sea", was recorded and mastered a bit differently than my usual CD’s.  I sought to have the piano sound like it was on a stage in a large concert hall, and wrote each song to be as inspiring and emotionally rich as possible.  I strove for a interconnected overall mood, using atmosphere and fluidity rather than a strong melodic line.  The music is reminiscent of Debussy, with gorgeous tapestries of tone colors.  Each song was an improvisation, living exactly in the moment of its creation.  That is a wonderful but challenging way to play and record!

Concerts- I had the privilege of performing in Atlanta last weekend in the Whisperings All Star concert.  It was a gathering of over 50 pianists, and was nice to hang out with likeminded people, and share the idiosyncrasies of the business.

Our winter house concert hibernation is over, we hope most of the snow has come and gone. I am working on the performance schedule for 2019, and it looks to be a good lineup of musicians to come perform with me. The first house concert will be with Jim Chappell on April 6th at 7 pm and April 7th at 2 pm. If you have not been to a house concert, it is an opportunity to hear the music up close and personal. The concerts are held in our piano studio just below Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA. Reservations are required. If you would like more information or want to make reservations, let me know by emailing me at gregmaroney@yahoo.com or respond to this letter.

That should be most of the news for now, thanks for reading this and supporting my music!

Take care,

Greg Maroney

No comments:

Post a Comment