Sunday, November 1, 2015



Fall is in the air, and the colors of the trees have never been so spectacular.  I do not know what it is this year, but the colors seems to be more vibrant and varied.  Perhaps it is all the rain this year, (we just had 3 more inches, sorry west coast folks!), or perhaps the temperatures are just right.  Linda took some great photos on her drive to her Yoga class a few days ago, and they are some of the best fall pictures I have seen in quite a while.

The gardens are put to bed, the hoses are in the barn, and I have been doing a general fall cleanup of the property.  We have not seen the geese gathering yet, I think that happens a little later and foretells the colder weather.  The weather has still been mild lately.

Now on to music news.  Last weekend Linda and I went to New York so I could play in an awards concert at Carnegie Hall.  It was a great experience, and.....my album "Coming Home" won Best Overall Album of the Year for Enlightened Piano Radio.  This was quite an honor.  I also was able to meet many of my fellow pianists that are spotlighted on the EPR web broadcast.  New York was quite an experience for us as we are used to the peace and quiet of country living, and New York is the complete opposite of that.  Needless to say we were quite overwhelmed, but stimulated at the same time.  What constant input!  Thousands of people, tall building, cars, sirens, shops, and noise. Totally dizzying. We are glad to be home with the award. We followed that experience with a house concert the next day. From Carnegie Hall to the Maroney living room. An equally entertaining afternoon at a completely different pace!

There will be two house concerts next month here at my home in south central Pennsylvania.  They will feature fellow pianist David Hicken, a really wonderful artist.  The first concert will be on December 5th at 7 pm, the second concert is December 6th at 2 pm.  If you have never been to a house concert, you will really enjoy the experience.  You can sit up close and personal, only a few feet away from the piano, and listen to the stories about how the composition came about.  Plus, the food is usually excellent as well as the company (partly pot luck and byob).  Seating is limited, if you are interested, email me at gregmaroney@yahoo.com for directions and reservations.


Sheet music is an ongoing project.  I have started transcribing the CD "Lake Song" and have about 5 songs done.  Anne Collins and I have also been collaborating and making simplified arrangements of many of my songs.  She is way ahead of me, I have to catch up by putting her arrangements for 20 songs onto paper.  She is quite the arranging machine!  We have compiled 10 of the most popular simplified songs into a single pdf file. Sheet music is available here.  Many thanks to Anne for her endless energy and enthusiasm!

That is most of the news for now, as always I appreciate your time and support, it means the world to me.

Take care

Greg Maroney

No comments:

Post a Comment